San Antonio Parish more known as “The Middle of the World” is located in the north-west of Quito city, It has an approximately population of 65.000 inhabitants according the preliminary census data during 2010. San Antonio has a surface of 116, 26 square kilometers and 2.439 meters of altitude over the sea level. Its foundation date was on 1901, during the presidency of Lenidas Plaza.
Why was named as San Antonio de Pichincha?
Formerly this region had the name of “Lulumbamba” which means Lulum= mature fruit and bamba=plain (Plain of the mature fruits). During the Colonial epoch and with the catholic religion influence, this town took the name of “San Antonio de Lulumbamba”, this name was conserved until 1901 time when was changed to “San Antonio of Pomasqui” and by request of the habitants of the town because was changing into civil Parish, accepts the final name of San Antonio de Pichincha until now.